June 5th is World Environment Day, a day dedicated to global awareness and action for the protection of the environment. This special day has now been adopted and celebrated by over 100 countries since its beginning in 1974. It is also known as the People’s Day, because it is the perfect opportunity for people to be doing something to take care of the Earth, either by themselves or as a group effort, at a local, national and even international level.
Every year the World Environment Day focuses on a different theme and has a different host country where official celebrations take place. This year’s theme is Plastic Pollution and the host country is India.
Man-made pollution from plastic is currently plaguing our planet’s environments and ecosystems with 33 percent of global plastic production being thrown away. The problems that arise from polluting the environment with plastic are many. The most prominent ones are:
- Plastic is not biodegradable, meaning it can last almost forever.
- It piles up in the environment and costs billions to clean afterwards.
- Toxic chemicals leaching out of plastic negatively affect human health and are responsible for cancers, birth defects, impaired immunity and other serious ailments.
- Toxic leaching from plastic can attract and accumulate other toxic pollutants.
- It can be a threat to animals and wildlife, for example if they mistakenly eat it or feed it to their young.
- It can spoil groundwater and natural food sources.
As part of our corporate Social Responsibility, at ProbusFX we recycle plastic, paper and every coffee capsule we use.